Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The turkey is ready, but am I?

I have been pretty quiet on here the last couple of weeks, I know.

This week I've been getting ready for "Turkey Day". Here is the menu for tomorrow.

Roasted Turkey w/ cornbread sage stuffing
Mashed Potatoes w/ cheese and bacon
Roasted Brussel Sprouts w/ honey and dried cranberries
Balsamic Onions in a light cream sauce
Candied Apple Cider braised carrots
Refrigerator Rolls
New York Cheesecake w/ blueberry lime sauce
Pumpkin Pie

plus a few other sundries...

Yes, I agree, it sounds as if I am going to be a thankful boy.

It's easy to get the meal ready for Thanksgiving. I know what I am doing, and who I am doing it for.

I just don't always know how to get my life ready. This year, that's where I am having a struggle; mid-life crisis; parental deaths; not losing weight as quickly as I want; I don't know why, and I struggling to find my way through this "morose". Oh, I know that this isn't unusual. I know that this will pass. But for right now, it sucks.

Today, there have been words rattling around in my brain. They are familiar to many of us.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come
'tis grace that brought me safe this far
and grace will lead me home

A couple of hundred years ago, men and women sat down at a table to give thanks. I know that their table will not in any way resemble the table I will sit down to tomorrow. I know that in some ways what they were doing those many years ago was simply saying thanks for the fact that they were not dead, given all that they had experienced. I know I am not facing anything like that, and I have much more for which to give thanks than did our ancestors. But I can't see any farther around the bend than they could, so maybe I should follow their path. They were simply saying thank you for what they knew and believed. Maybe that is enough.

May your thanksgiving last longer than a day... may it last a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. OK...let's be thankful for the morose; for our wandering. It is all part of the gig, right? And covered by grace. Amen Kent.

    ReplyDelete