Tuesday, October 5, 2010

As far as I am concerned . . .

This past week, or week and a half, my mind has been drawn to the stories of teenagers killing themselves because of their sexuality. I know I am not alone in my concern, but I have, for too long, been too quiet in my views on this subject. This, from Ellen Degeneres (of whom, I am not a fan, although I do not dislike her. I simply don't watch her) served as a wake-up call to me.



One of my greatest regrets is that the faith that I have chosen to be a part of is often, and largely cited, as being an important factor in the attitudes we have toward homosexuality.

I will admit that my entire view of sexuality is changing. But I know that the way we are choosing to judge people on this issue has been incredibly damaging. So, I am writing this post, aware that my saying what I will say, will bring repercussions. But folks, I think the conservative church has it wrong. And here's why...

Conservative Christianity claims to "believe the Bible." The longer I am in ministry, the less sure I am of what that means. I know most of us are well meaning in trying to follow what we understand to be the dictates of God, and that leads some to seek to follow Scripture literally, at least the parts that they agree with literally. But we somehow turn a blind eye to the other parts with which we don't agree, or which don't support or speak to our concerns. I am constantly amazed that we often misuse the principles of grace, mercy and love, in our efforts to be vigilant about faith. We look at life through a narrow lens, quoting chapter and verse that espouse our views, without thinking through how it applies to the whole.

I find it easy to apply the bible to everyone else, but it isn't so easy when it challenges my beliefs and decisions. When it's about 'you' I can be a literalist.
That applies big time to our contemporary discussion of Homosexuality. So I am about to do what I am loathe to do... Point out my understanding of what the Bible has to say about the subject. I know this will get me in trouble.

The Bible never addresses the subject of Homosexuality as a sexual identity. Sexual identity was not a part of our understanding of human existence until recent years. The Bible contains references to specific acts of homosexuality, in specific contexts. The idea of two people in an intimate, loving homosexual relationship was unknown in the Biblical world, and it is not addressed in the Scriptures. Specific acts are addressed. And there are six, count them, six of them.

Genesis 19: 1 - 29- The Story of the destruction of Sodom. This story is about the men of the city wanting to commit a homosexual rape. We cannot condemn a sexual orientation because of a rape.

Judges 19: 1 - 30 is basically a retelling of the Sodom story in a different context. This time, however, the men actually do rape someone- a woman. And the passage speaks to the need of God's love in a brutal world. Both this passage and the Genesis passage are condemnations of ignorance and sexual brutality- not homosexuality.

Texts 3 and 4 are both in Leviticus and make up a part of the Old Testament Levitical code.

Leviticus 18:22 – “Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.”

Leviticus 20:13 – “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

These codes no longer apply to the Christian community. The book of Acts, specifically chapter 15 make it clear that the Gentile community cannot be held to the Mosiac standards. Christianity does not demand compliance with this ancient code of behaviour. If it did, we would have to comply with it all, meaning we would have to keep kosher (which may actually not be a bad thing, but that is another subject), we would have to make room for polygamy, which is lawful in Leviticus(talk about a redefinition of marriage) And all of us would be stoning our children for disobedience. Unless you are prepared to obey all the laws in Leviticus, you cannot blame the homosexual for not feeling bound to obey all of them. To point to these two verses and demand selective compliance is ludicrous.

The Old Testament has nothing specific to say about homosexuality. Jesus has nothing to say about the issue. Absolutely nothing. It simply was not an issue for him.

Paul discusses it twice. TWICE. These are the only two mentions of homosexuality in the whole of the New Testament.

I Corinthians 6:9 – “Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders”

"Male prostitutes" and "homosexual offenders." Can someone explain to me why we would condemn an entire orientation because of the prohibition of these very specific behaviors?

The Greek words Paul used in this passage mean a young, effeminate male prostitute and the word for the older man who paid to have sex with him. There are some problems with translation here, I will admit that. English does not have an adequate word for the Greek term.

Yes, The New Testament condemns prostitution and a system where a younger man makes his living committing sex acts for money with older men. But we cannot condemn homosexuality in general because homosexual prostitution was condemned. Paul condemns many heterosexual acts in his writings, even in this very verse, yet we do not condemn heterosexuality.

Romans 1:18-29 is the last passage we shall look at. It is the one most often quoted, and it is clearly the closest thing we find to condemnation in the New Testament. Verse 27 is the most specific verse.

I simply ask you to read this entire passage with an open mind. In it, Paul says that those who reject God will be given over to "shameful lusts”. They will engage in many acts that are not pleasing to God. Men will “burn with lust for one another.”

In Paul's experience, the only homosexuality he knew was that practiced in the non-Jewish world and probably tied to pagan temple worship. He claims that homosexuality is one of the punishments for those who reject God. But what are we to do with gentle and committed Christians who love God and worship God, but who tell us that they have a homosexual orientation?

Many homosexuals are not haters of God. Many of them are Christians. They have not rejected the Creator. Nor do not burn in lust for each other and run around committing scandalous acts. They are quietly committed to their partners in love. The dilemma here is that the homosexual Christians I know just do not fit the picture Paul gives us in Romans.

I'll be honest- I don’t know exactly what Paul meant by this passage. I know he was describing people who chose not to worship God and then "burned with lust for other men." I don't know exactly what he meant, but I know this DOES NOT describe the homosexual Christians I know, who love God with great passion.

Because of my inability to make clear sense of these passages, I am willing to allow a person's sexual orientation to be between him or her and God. I am willing to take a chance and err on the side of compassion and inclusion.

There are 6 passages that are thought to address the subject of homosexuality. The Old Testament passages are easily dismissed. And the two New Testament passages are ambiguous at best and easily open to interpretation.

I do not believe that the Bible teaches that homosexuality is sinful. I simply do not. And even if you do not agree with me, would you at least agree that the Scriptural witness is ambiguous? And if so, shouldn't gay men and lesbian women be treated with the same mercy, grace and support that you feel should be shown to you?

I think it is time to move on, to recognize that all committed relationship, heterosexual and homosexual move us closer to understanding the call to the wholeness of God. Maybe if we stopped condemning, maybe young men and women would stop dying. Please, God, let it be so......

1 comment: