Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Day #5-  Through The Eyes Of A Child

Talon and I spent some time together Tuesday morning.   It hasn't been just the two of us alone for quite some time.  I've missed him.

Every grandparent thinks his/her grandchild is the cutest thing on the face of the earth.  I don't think that.  I know it.

Some of the Christmas decorating had been done.   The tree was trimmed, simply this year, after all there is a 2 year old running around here from time to time, and his grandfather can occasionally get himself into some trouble as well.     But the tree stands in the living room, next to the fireplace.

At one point in the morning, I was out in the kitchen. Talon was playing in the living room, and I came around the corner, and saw him, simply standing there, looking at the tree.  Just looking, a small smile, eyes wide with wonder.   I stopped, and just watched.   I thought about taking a picture, but as I read in "Brother to a DragonFly" many years ago, some moments are too holy to photograph.

I just watched.  Tree lights reflected in those innocent eyes that long ago captured my heart.  It was the first time my soul thought "Christmas" this year.  I thank Talon for that.

It wasn't an earth-shaking, soul making event.  It was love looking at Christmas.  It was hope mesmerized by sparkling light.  It was innocence believing in magic.  And I felt my heart grow larger.

I don't want this season to come crashing down on me.  I want it to unfold softly, surely.  Maybe, maybe if I look, I can find magic through a child's eyes.






No comments:

Post a Comment